Maintenance and Care
For the first week after application of the finish
For the first seven days, your new floor is not yet completely hardened. It is vulnerable to damage from things that shouldn’t harm it at all in a couple of weeks.
- Try not to walk on it for 24 hours after completion.
- Don’t clean the floor right away.
- No mopping or vacuuming at all during the first week.
- No spraying with pledge or anything similar.
- Do not tape paper runners on top of newly finished floor.
- If you have pets, make sure their nails or claws are clipped before they are permitted to walk on the floor. Keep them clipped!
There are a few things you can do tomaintain the beauty and increase the longevity of your new finish.
- Regular removal of surface debris—by vacuuming (with a soft attachment) and/or sweeping with an electrostatic dust mop.
- There are also specific cleaning systems that vary depending on the type of finish applied. I can advise on which one to use depending on the finish applied.
There are other steps that you can take to minimize maintenance and maintain the beauty of your wooden floors as well.
- Do not use vinyl or tile floor care products on wood floors. Self-polishing acrylic waxes causes wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly.
- Use rugs both inside and outside doorways to help prevent grit, dirt and other debris from being tracked onto your wood floors. This will prevent scratching.
- Do not wet-mop a wooden floor. Standing water can dull the finish.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a dampened towel.
- Put felt glides under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
- Avoid walking on your wooden floors with high heels. High heels will damage all wooden floors.
- When moving heavy furniture, do not slide it across your wooden floor. It is best to pick up furniture completely to protect the wood flooring.
- For wood flooring in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink.
- Use a humidifier throughout the winter months to keep wood movement and shrinkage to a minimum; this is also a good idea for your general health.